Sunday, August 17, 2014

"Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?"

Mt 19:16-22
A young man approached Jesus and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?"
He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, " 'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness;
honor your father and your mother'; and 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?"
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to (the) poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions. 


      In our morning mass for this day i was really touch by the homily of our very own spiritual director in the seminary by stating 3 important points of reflection in the Gospel for the day.
         
        I was really moved by the second point of reflections, "Leaving our attachments."

        Have you discovered some of  your attachments in life? Somehow you will say yes, but how sure are you?

        For me i am now trying to deviate my self into this possessions of mine through pens. I really have a lot of pens from the cheapest to the expensive ones. I just learn that they are one of the causes of my burdens in life and i can't move on easily. It's really difficult to give them if you learn to value them that much. But mind you, you give more importance to our attachment than giving more time to our LORD. It pulls me to the wrong path and so i learn to share them to my brothers and friends though it hurts. But, it is only in this way of letting go where i can my self free.

   Let us not be like the young man, who cannot let go of what he has. The very invitation of our Lord is free yourself from your mundane wants and look instead of our needs and the needs of others. Instead, some of us are very selfish and self- centered that they really wanted to accumulate things or even wealth in life. Accordingly, they are the hindrance in our journey for they are our baggage's in life.

  Attachment could also be emotional or relational. Our relationship that we cannot let go and so we cannot moved on. Partly i am affected by this, because in the future our ministry calls for leaving behind everything that we have. To serve others and serve God is our utmost concern and so i need to learn of letting go. It is only in this process where i can attain freedom in me and freedom to serve others.

   "For the Love of God and Love of Neighbor".

No comments:

Post a Comment